Thursday 27 September 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #325 - How To Dress Well, "Total Loss"

It's been another one of those days slaving away over a noisy laptop, listening to tunes as I go, but without the opportunity or brainspace to note any thoughts as they pass through my head.

This album has a handsome cover of a head shaped iceberg afloat on calm waters. It sums up the business within, I guess. He's a Brooklynite that's made his way to Berlin. There's that Burial feel shimmering under the surface - the dirty bubble and the fragil soaring vocal. You know what I mean. It's definitely a London sound. "Running Back" has a hint of LFO in the bassline. Deep and dreamy.


There's some noise about him being a bit of an appropriate figure for an R&B man. There may be a racial element to this, or it may be some anti-hipster resistance. Who knows? I'm just spitballing here. (No, I don't know what it means either. Yes, it does sound very dodgy, dunnit?) I like the crunch at the beginning of "Set It Right" and the choral swoop, but then it deteriorates into a list of dead people that he misses in a wobbly falsetto. That sounds harsh.

Is the whole album about death?

Rating: Wobbly Brooklyn Falsetto out of South London Pavements

No comments: