Wednesday 1 August 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #284 - Cypress Hill & Rusko, "Cypress X Rusko EP 1 EP"

I'm not sure I'm very happy with this combo. Very few albums (hip hop or otherwise) can live with "Black Sunday" in my opinion and a big factor in its success was DJ Muggs. His creepy, cartoony beats gave the sneering raps of Sen Dog and B-Real something to cut against; it undercut and boosted the menace at the same time. I'm worried this is a bid for filthy chart presence. I'm not sure it will supply the right background business.

I suppose the point is that I'm still not really convinced by dubstep. Gimmicks and irregular noises are part of the problem, maybe. But it's more the lumpen lack of rhythm. There's none of the propulsion of techno; none of the breakbeat stomp of hip hop or jungle. On "Shots Go Off" the gun sound effects are obstacles, anchors pinning the action down in a bad way. And the CH boys are a bit inauduble under all the metalwork.


The only exception, where the swagger gets a bit of weight in the swing is "Can't Keep Me Down", which drafts in Damian Marley to up the ante a bit. Lyrically, there's not a lot going on. Seems a waste of the possibilities. "Medicated" is busier too, opening with a helicopter rotor synth, but it's about partying again. The pop instinct has been flattened out into a long autotuned party - explosions of sex and joy and freedom are a thing of the past. It's all surface and cash money now. When Young De chips in, it's an advert ("When my name is on that flyer...").

It makes me feel sad.

Rating: Party Setting out of Pop Flatline

No comments: