Tuesday 28 August 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #294 - Bill Fay, "Life is People"

This is a bit of a double header. An banner ad popped up for this album with a one word review along the lines of "astounding", and I thought I would give it a whirl.

It's pretty downbeat. It sounds as though there has been quite a lot of suffering and guilt and wrestling with demons in his life. There's the feeling of a life obscured. Lyrically, there seems to be a lot of talk of God and Jesus and plenty of goodbyes: it's not really my bag. Musically, I keep thinking of Chris Rea and a soft, tinkling piano wash that somehow puts me in mind of the Eighties.


Spotify carries on into a two-disc collection called "Still Some Light", on which Bill sounds much younger and a little funkier and scratchy, still careworn but not worn down nearly as far. One particular tune called "Plan D" is quite arrestingly apocalyptic. And I get more of a sense of the ramblingly poetic. So I decide to listen to his 1971 album, "Time of the Last Persecution" to see where that might take me.

Rating: Running out of Time To Say Goodbyes

No comments: