Saturday 30 June 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #250 - Ladyhawke, "Anxiety"

Good press, bad press: it all evens out in the end, or it doesn't. Named after a peculiar Eighties swords & sorcery movie too. Such is Ladyhawke.

"Sunday Drive" has a hammering piano and a distorted guitar flying in from South America. "I want to see what you can be". That doesn't sound much like the kind of caravanning I associate with Sunday drives. Music piling in from all kinds of corners of my headphones. "Black White & Blue" sounds like classic Britpop-era Pulp, which seems a strange thing to write. Not many things sound like Pulp. "Blue Eyes" sounds like late Beck, something from The Information. I like it. Maybe they have a similar urge to transmute paranoid disassociation into clean-lined pop shapes.


"Vanity" makes the psychological pitfalls of "self-destruction/Self-obsession" sound remarkably self-possessed and sunnily fun. She has the pop touch alright, I reckon. Whatever organ it is the pop leaks or juts out from. Somewhere in the same car park at Sheryl Crowe or someone else whom I forget now. She's liking a few electric rainbows for their citric flavours. Some of it scatters itself over the end of "The Quick & the Dead". I think I love her a little bit; it's the disassociation.


"I've always been so cautious/But I'm sick of feeling nauseous," she asserts on the title track. It's more introverted than Paris burning, I figure. Maybe it's why she seems so mistrusted by folk that make their opinions on music widely known. Her voice is very clear. The music is pop using rock brushes. This is my second unexpected surprise enjoyment of the day after Gossip.

There's a lot of second person in the songs. A lot of lyrics about battling over the head. "Gone Gone Gone" fits the mould of psychic warfare too ("I'll only get you in your dreams"). It doesn't sound as though Pippa has had a good couple of years, eh?

Rating: Pop Touch out of Rock Brushes

No comments: