Sunday 13 May 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #176 - Bad Brains, "I Against I"

Peel Archive again. A band I read about but never heard properly, again. A chance to remedy this, again.

It's a very reggae title, but the title track bears very little resemblance to anything of a natty dread nature that I can recall. It's fast, highly produced and squealing with metal portent. Though I'm pretty sure all music was faster and more nervy in the Eighties. Even Happy Mondays' first album was a janglefest.


"Re-Ignition" is paced more slowly, has a more intense burn; but I can't quite make out where the lyrics are going. He's got a curious nasal delivery. I can imagine how tunes like this went down well at the time in 1986. No hair metal pomposity, more laid-back than other DC bands with open space in the music, but also with some straight edge philosophy to give it some ethical starch. Faith No More territory, but with a more obviously political edge.

There's talk of love, but it's not clear whether it's actually love they are thinking of or whether it's a cypher for something else, partly because I can make so few lyrics out. I don't believe the "she" of "She's Calling You" is a real woman, but an idea of a country or something else. "Sacred Love" doesn't quite add up as an actual relationship. Vocals are literally 'phoned in - from a prison, so I can't make a decent ear fist of the lyrics. Or maybe I'm thinking too hard about the whole thing?

Rating: Spacious out of Fierce



No comments: