Monday 26 March 2012

The 2kDozen 500: #117 - Sly & Robbie, "Blackwood Dub"

In the interests of getting back up to speed, I'm noting that I listened to the new album from Sly & Robbie and I liked it. It was solid, no nonsense dub business. I generally prefer a little nonsense, but if there's no nonsense to be had, then what's left is good.

I love dub. I'm not sure why it speaks to me so clearly and how I find it so easy to identify with - way easier than any other black music, including house and hip hop. But I do. Maybe so easily that I haven't any tensions to write about.


The only thing is that because there are generally so few lyrics, I lose track of which track is which very easily and never remember the titles. It's just a state of mind. And this album is just the sound of a couple of auld fellas laying out a few more stretches of groove and slink.

Supremely comfortable in all the best senses of the words.

Rating: You Can Take The Dub out of Jamaica, But ...

No comments: