Wednesday 20 January 2010

The Insidious Junkbox

Howdy, all!

A suggestion from Ollie Nightjar, the cricketing Behemoth of the Flat Above, has led to me posting my latest podcast here on the ol' Cocaphrenic blogspot.

I've been toiling out these hour-long podcasts on an irregular basis since August 2008, although it's difficult to work out why. It's a naughty and piratical business, although I have paid for all the tracks themselves, and there's somewhere in my mind the dim idea that I'd like to pretend to do this for a living. I believe that I've a pleasant, hesitant burble; but I'm in no way as eclectic as I'd like to be, always falling back on the same boys with guitars and circuit-boards that haunt my imagination.

It's a kind of mixtape though, really. The kind of thing I used to do for friends, back in the days when music had a petro-chemical physical host, CDs, audio-cassettes, wax cylinders. Now that those soundwaves are made of tiny fragments of pixellated thought, a podcast seems the most sensible option. And I guess it spreads furtherer too. The illusory physical thrill has gone, but such is our digital margarine life. We mutter on with our hands in our pockets...

Insidious Junkbox #16: Suck Scene is fresh from the mouths of babes and monsters this morning, and contains these treats...

Associates - Party Fears Two
The xx - Islands
Method Man - Release Yo' Delf (Prodigy Mix)
John Cooper Clarke - The Day My Pad Went Mad
The Phantom Band - Throwing Bones
Teengirl Fantasy - New Image Every Day
Bear In Heaven - Lovesick Teenagers
Parliament - Little Old Country Boy
De La Soul - Brainwashed Follower
Japandroids - Sovereignty
Meat Puppets - Lake of Fire
Deee-Lite - What Is Love?
Fashawn - Samsonite Man
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Spellbound

It's all about the Janus face, people, a bit of old stuff and a bit of new, nailed to the mast of the flag of convenience. Insidious Junkbox rules!

Your pal, Coc x

No comments: